Rich Relyea’s practice focuses on insurance defense, insurance coverage issues, product liability, construction accidents and the defense of employers in OSHA/WISHA proceedings. He appears in state and federal courts throughout Washington.
Areas of Emphasis
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Wrongful Death and Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Professional Negligence
- Insurance Law
- Construction Accidents
- Worksite Safety (OSHA/WISHA)
- Gonzaga University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1979
- Creighton University Law School
- Miami University, B.A. in Public Administration, 1969
Admitted to Practice
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Rich joined Winston & Cashatt in 1981. After completing his B.A. in Public Administration at Miami University and prior to law school, he served in the United States Air Force from 1969 to 1976. Upon leaving the military, Rich attended Creighton University Law School and Gonzaga Law School, graduating magna cum laude in 1979. From 1979 to 1981, he served as a Judicial Law Clerk for Robert J. McNichols, U.S. District Judge, Eastern District of Washington. He is a past President of the Federal Bar Association of the Eastern District of Washington and served as a Lawyer Delegate to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Judicial Conference for three years. He was also a board member of the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers. He served for over 10 years as the Chairperson of the Spokane County Superior Court Liaison Committee.
In his spare time, Rich enjoys cycling, sailing, swimming, and organizing and promoting a yearly series of Concerts for the Hungry and Homeless in St. John’s Cathedral (i.e., “Swing in the Cathedral for Habitat for Humanity”, “Country in the Cathedral for Catholic Charities”, etc.).
Professional and Civic Activities
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers, prior Board Member
- Washington State Trial Lawyers Association
- St. John’s Cathedral Outreach Committee, Co-Chair