Collette Leland’s practice focuses on construction law, commercial and business litigation, and complex civil litigation. Collette is admitted to practice in state and federal courts in Washington and Idaho. She has been named a Rising Star by Washington Law & Politics Magazine and one of Spokane’s Top Lawyers by Spokane/Coeur d’Alene Magazine. Collette has an Avvo rating of 10.0.
Collette has represented public entities, professionals, contractors and owners in disputes including construction defect claims, construction delays and scheduling, design defects, liens, notice and claims issues, and requests for equitable adjustments. Collette has assisted clients on projects ranging from residential restoration to hydroelectric dams and wastewater treatment plants.
Commercial and Business Litigation
Collette represents clients in all areas of commercial and business litigation, including contract disputes, shareholder litigation, intellectual property, fraudulent transfers, and business sales.
Collette served as a judicial clerk for Washington Supreme Court Justice Mary E. Fairhurst. Collette also gained substantial appellate experience during her clerkship for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Washington. Collette represents clients in criminal and civil appeals in both federal and state courts.
Complex Civil Litigation
Collette represents clients in a variety of civil disputes, including trust and estate litigation, negligence, commercial lease disputes, FDCPA claims against attorneys and debt collection agencies, and professional negligence and malpractice.
- All’s Fair in Love and News: How the Current Application of the Fair Use Doctrine Favors the Traditional Media over Amateur Providers of News Content, Wake Forest Intellectual Property Law Journal, Summer 2008
- Is Your Law Firm a Collection Agency? How the Current Interpretation of the Washington Collection Agency Act Threatens to Regulate the Practice of Law, Gonzaga Law Review, Vol. 48, No. 3 (2012/13)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Executive Women International, Spokane Chapter
- Women Helping Women Fund, Vivian Winston Scholarship Committee
- State v. Hawkins, 181 Wn.2d 170, 332 P.3d 408 (2014)
- Mullenix v. Sysco Spokane, Inc., 2014 WL 3587581 (E.D. Wash. 2014) (slip op.)
- Mullenix v. Sysco Spokane, Inc., 2014 WL 3012830 (E.D. Wash. 2014) (slip op.)
Areas of Emphasis
- Gonzaga University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2008
- Eastern Washington University, B.A., 1985
Admitted to Practice
- Washington State Supreme Court
- Idaho Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Idaho
- United States Court of Federal Claims