Ken Howard is an experienced litigator who represents clients in cases related to professional negligence, personal injury, and product liability. His practice also emphasizes mediation work.
Areas of Emphasis
- Personal Negligence
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 1971
- General Motors Institute, 1967
Admitted to Practice
- Washington State Courts
- Idaho State Courts
- Michigan State Courts (Inactive)
- Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- Federal District Court for the District of Idaho
- Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Pro Hac Vice, California, Texas, Montana, Oklahoma, Oregon
A long-time Coeur d’Alene attorney, Ken has been in private law practice since 1971 in Coeur d’Alene, Boise, and Detroit, and joined Winston & Cashatt of counsel in 2011. He is perhaps best known for his work alongside the Southern Poverty Law Center in a lawsuit against the Aryan Nations and his representation of victims of the Sunshine Mine fire.
In 2000, The Kootenai County Task Force on Human Relations presented him with the Civil Rights Award for his successful lawsuit against the Aryan Nations and its founder, Richard Butler, ending with their departure from the community.
Ken received his B.S.M.E. from Kettering University, and began his professional career working full time in the engineering department of Chrysler Corporation while attending law school at Wayne State University in Detroit.
Martindale Hubbell, a premiere national attorney rating organization, has rated Ken as AV for the past 19 years. This is their highest rating, given only by peer review of an attorney’s skill, ethics, and reputation.
Ken has been selected for inclusion in the publication “Best Lawyers in America” in the areas of Personal Injury and Products Liability for the past 20 years.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Idaho State Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Michigan State Bar Association (inactive)
- Best Lawyers in America
- Super Lawyers magazine list, 2007 – present
- Trustee, North Idaho College, 2010 – Present
- North Idaho College Vision and Long Range Planning Committee, 2011
- Various Leadership Positions, Idaho State Bar Association, 1989-2001, including President, 1995
- Idaho State Bar Distinguished Lawyer Award, 2007
- Civil Rights Award, Kootenai County Task Force on Human Relations, 2000
- Idaho Trial Lawyers Association – 20 yrs, including President (1987-1988)